Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship Application
This recreation opportunity has been created so a Gainesville family may enjoy a year’s worth of events, programs, tours and more at no cost! Apply now to qualify for the scholarship.
To provide a scholarship for one year to one City of Gainesville low-to-moderate income family, to participate in nature, recreation and cultural activities provided by the City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department and other providers in the community, such as the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art and the Florida Museum of Natural History. This scholarship was made possible through the generous gift of an anonymous donor.
Now Accepting Applications for Michelle Park Family Recreation Scholarship
Application deadline is Friday, December 18, 2020
The award consists of one scholarship valued at $1,500, which can be used to enjoy activities* such as:
- After-school activities and day camps for school breaks and teacher holidays, for children age six–12
- Access to the Wellness Center at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Multipurpose Center
- Tickets to cultural events
- An annual pass to Sweetwater Wetlands Park
- Adult and youth recreation and sports activities such as golf lessons, swimming lessons and tennis lessons; free registration to participate in city-sponsored youth baseball, basketball, flag football, Pop Warner football or cheerleading.
* Please note: some activities here listed may not be available due to the current COVID19 restrictions.
- Family must be City of Gainesville residents and provide proof (GRU bill or voter registration card).
- Family must meet the criteria of the Alachua County School Board Free or Reduced Lunch Program and provide 2019 tax return and reduced lunch eligibility form;
- Family must be able to complete 20 volunteer hours during the award year or the following year.
Application Process: Applicant must submit the following items/forms. Final scholarship award selection will be made by the City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs (PRCA) Department’s evaluation team.
- Completed Application form with supporting documents: proof of ID, residency and income, which can be found on the following page. If handwriting your application please print legibly.
- One completed Reference form, also included, from an individual not related to the applicant.
- Personal Statement. In your statement, please answer the following question: How would receiving this scholarship make a difference for your family? Statement is to be no more than one page typed or two pages handwritten.
Deadline for scholarship applications is Friday, December 18, 2020.
Applications can be emailed to Jenny McGovern, Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org,
or mailed to:
City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department,
PO Box 490, Station 24, Gainesville, FL 32627-0490.
Download, Save and Complete the Family Recreation Scholarship Application Packet