Registration for 2021 GIRR will close today, Feb. 17 at 5 p.m.
Registration will close today, Feb. 17 at 5p.m.!
This year’s Great Invader Raider Rally (GIRR) will look a little bit different than normal years. Instead of gathering in groups at local nature parks, we are going to focus more on removing non-native invasive plants where you are. Removing harmful invasive plants from your home or neighborhood can help reduce the amount of plants that jump from the community into our nature parks. Be a part of this annual tradition and restore our natural areas! You Can Do It!
This year’s rally will take place over 4 days from February 19-22. You can determine when, where, and for how long you volunteer!
All registered participants will receive a free custom GIRR face mask! To register, please visit https://forms.gle/BMSHRPrazQZuKfyM7.
Before the Event
- View our short video about the 2021 GIRR which includes information on some of the common non-native invasive plants we see in residential areas. We made six short videos on these common plants with details about how to identify and properly remove them
- Begin looking around your home or neighborhood for invasive plants.
- **Please do not plan on working in any city nature parks. If you would like to find out more about working with us in our parks, please ask at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you find some suspected invasive plants but are unsure of their identity, post a few photos to our GIRR Facebook Event Page or email them to email@example.com. Our staff will review them and assist you!
- Make preparations for what you will need for removing plants. We suggest gloves, close-toed shoes, shovel, and trash bags.
During the Event
- Remove non-native plants from your home or neighborhood and properly dispose of them.
- *Post photos of you and/or your group working to our GIRR Facebook Event Page or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Celebrate your good work!
After the Event
- All participants will receive a custom face mask with this year’s design. Masks can be picked up at Morningside Nature Center (3540 East University Avenue) on the following dates:
- Thursday February 25 from 2-5p.m.
- Saturday February 27 from 10-1p.m.
- Mask pickup will be “touchless” pickup. Please pull your vehicle around our pavilion loop where staff will deliver your mask to you in your vehicle. Please do not park and exit your vehicle. Signs will help direct you when you enter the park.
If you post a photo of you and your group working in our Facebook Event Page or email them to us, you will be entered into a drawing for additional prizes from some great local businesses. Prize winners will be notified prior to the mask pickup days and can claim their prize with their masks.
Additional Non-native Plant Resources
You can also visit gnvgreenwaychallenge.org page to find out how you can help our natural areas year-round.