Community Meetings for Public Comment on Annual Action Plan Scheduled
The City of Gainesville has developed a Proposed Annual Action Plan (AAP) that describes how it plans to use annual funding from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). In order to encourage community participation in the review of the AAP, and ongoing identification of community needs, meetings will be held in each of the four City Commission Districts, as follows:
- Monday, June 3 at 6 p.m.: Thelma Boltin Center (516 NE Second Ave.)
- Tuesday, June 4 at 6 p.m.: Senior Recreation Center (5701 NW 34th Blvd.)
- Wednesday, June 5 at 6 p.m.: Millhopper Branch Library (3145 NW 43rd St.)
- Thursday, June 6 at 6 p.m.: Gainesville Technology Entrepreneurship Center (2153 SE Hawthorne Rd.)
Each year, HUD requires the city, as a recipient of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program and Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program funding, to prepare and submit an AAP. The purpose of the AAP is to provide a concise summary of the actions, activities and the specific federal and non-federal resources that will be used to address priority needs and specific goals
The city anticipates receiving $1.32 million in funding through the CDBG Program and $535,141 through the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) for the fiscal year beginning October 1, 2019. Funds for FY 2019-2020 program year will be used for the following types of eligible activities, and benefit very low, low and moderate income residents and neighborhoods within the City of Gainesville:
- Homeless assistance
- Job training/employment assistance
- Nutritional support
- Programs that serve disadvantaged or at-risk youth or elderly persons
- Emergency shelter and services to assist homeless individuals during cold nights and inclement weather
The proposed AAP is available for inspection online and during regular business hours at the following locations:
- Housing & Community Development Division, 306 NE Sixth Ave., Thomas Center, Bldg. B, Rm. 245
- Clerk of the City Commission, 200 E. University Ave., City Hall
- Downtown Library, 401 E. University Ave.
- Cone Park Library, 2801 E. University Ave.
- Library Partnership, 912 NE 16th Ave.
A public review and written comment period has begun and continues through Friday, June 14, 2019. For more information, please call 352-393-8864 or 352-393-8863. To submit comments, email firstname.lastname@example.org or send them to:
Housing and Community Development Division
City of Gainesville
P.O. Box 490, Station 22
Gainesville, FL 32627-0490
Attn: F. Cockerham-Guinyard
The City of Gainesville encourages the participation of all its residents, especially low-income residents, minorities, non-English speaking persons and persons with mobility, visual or hearing impairments.