Pints for Perry Blood Drive Honors Perry McGriff
The City of Gainesville is partnering with LifeSouth Community Blood Centers to host Pints for Perry, a blood drive honoring Perry McGriff and the contributions he made to the community as a lifetime blood donor. Pints for Perry kicks off Monday, March 6 and continues through Friday, March 10 at various drive locations.
While McGriff contributed to the Gainesville community in dozens of way - he was a former mayor, county commissioner and state representative - when it came to blood donation, McGriff had a passion for giving, and donated more than 536 pints (or 67 gallons) of blood throughout his life. The goal of Pints for Perry is to collect that same amount during the course of the week.
McGriff also served as member of LifeSouth’s board of directors for nearly 30 years, and, in 1996, he helped found the Five Points of Life program for LifeSouth which helps raise awareness of the five ways people can share life with others through the donation of blood, apheresis, marrow, organ and tissue and cord blood.
Donors must be at least 17 (or 16 with parental permission), weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. A photo ID is also required. For LifeSouth center locations and center hours, please visit www.lifesouth.org.
Blood drives will take place at LifeSouth’s donor centers and at the following city-owned facilities:
- Monday, March 6 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. at City Hall, 200 E. University Ave.
- Tuesday, March 7 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. at City Hall, 200 E. University Ave.
- Wednesday, March 8 from 7:30-10:30 a.m. at Fleet Management, 6317 NW 16th St.
- Wednesday, March 8 from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at GRU, 301 SE Fourth Ave.
- Wednesday, March 8 from 3-6 p.m. at GRU, 4747 N. Main St.
- Thursday, March 9 from 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at Public Works, 405 NW 39th Ave.
- Thursday, March 9 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m.at City Hall, 200 E. University Ave.
For additional information, please call LifeSouth’s Laura Bialeck at 352-359-0988.