For questions regarding permitting or fees, the Building Department can be contacted at email@example.com, 352-334-5050, or through fax at 352-334-2207.
You can view existing permit information through our Public Permit Access. If you are not familiar with the operation of our Public Permit Access program, please view the tutorial or contact us.
Building permit fees are available here but remember this provides only an estimate. Fees may vary depending on your specific situation and plan review requirements. Fees can be paid by check, credit card, or cash. Checks should be made payable to City of Gainesville. A notarized Letter of Credit authorization is required for processing credit cards without the cardholder present.
Contractor Registration Requirement
In order to register with us, please fax or email us with:
1. A copy of your current state certified contractor’s license.
2. A copy of General Liability Insurance showing the City of Gainesville listed as the certificate holder. The address for the certificate holder should be:
City of Gainesville
P.O. Box 490 Station #9
Gainesville, Florida 32627
3. A copy of your workman’s compensation insurance or workman’s compensation exemption form issued by the State of Florida. If it is for workman’s compensation insurance, the insurance certificate should list the City of Gainesville as the certificate holder (see #2 above for the certificate holder address).
4. The best phone number and email address to attach to the business profile.
5. If anyone other than the license holder will be pulling and signing for permits, a notarized letter of authorization from the state license holder is required. (See the Signature Authorization in the Permit Forms.)
6. If you will be faxing or mailing in applications and paying by credit card, a notarized Letter of Credit Authorization will also need to be submitted for the cardholder. (See the Letter of Credit Authorization in the Permit Forms)
How to Apply
You can apply for a permit in-person, online, via mail, or by fax. We are transitioning to a digital plan review program called ePlan Review. If you are interested in digital plan review, contact our permit technicians at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contractors who have previously registered to use Citizen Access can apply there for permits. Permits that do not require plan review (e.g. mechanical (limited), electrical (limited), roofing, HVAC change outs, water heater replacements, plumbing re-piping, gas piping, and window and door replacements) will be issued within 24 hours.
- If you are interested in submitting online for digital plan review, you will apply online through Citizen Access and note in the project description that you would like to utilize ePlan Review. Do not upload plans in Citizen Access. When the application is received, it will be reviewed for accuracy and a project created in the ePlan Review program. You will then receive an email invite to upload plans for the project.
- For guidance, please see the Online Permit Request and Payment Tutorial as well as our Applicant Guide here for ePlan Review. You can also view our ePlan Review tab for more information.
- If you have questions, please contact a permit tech at email@example.com
Fax a Permit
For this, you must be a licensed contractor and registered with the City of Gainesville. Please remember to:
1. Submit a notarized Letter of Credit Authorization to the Building Inspection Department. This document shall have the printed name of the cardholder, the company name, and the signature of the cardholder. (See the sample Letter of Credit Authorization in the forms section of this website.)
2. Include a legible Mail-in/Fax Permit Application and any documentation necessary to have on file (specifications, product approvals, etc.). The application can be found in the Permit Forms.
3. Once the application is received in our office it will be reviewed and processed during normal business hours.
4. Please provide a fax number or email address on the application to which your permit can be returned.
We also take permit applications by mail. Remember, you have to be a licensed contractor and registered with the City of Gainesville. Please include:
1. A Permit Application and 2 sets of plans (or 3 for fire protection systems) and any documentation necessary to process the application (specifications, product approvals, etc.). The application can be found in Permit Forms.
2. Your payment
3. A signed copy of the appropriate checklist for the type of permit you are requesting.
4. Provide two (2) sets of plans and submittal data meeting the requirements of the checklist. If the project is for a fire protection system, you must provide three (3) copies of the plans and submittal data.
- We are happy to help you in person. Come see us at 306 NE 6th Ave., Building B, Gainesville, FL 32601.
- Our hours are: Monday – Friday 7:30am to 5:00pm
- Please visit us between 7:30AM and 4:00PM Monday through Friday for permit applications.