The City of Gainesville presents the Fiscal Years 2018-2019 recommended annual Budget in Brief for General Government as developed at the direction of the City Manager. It is reviewed by the Gainesville City Commission during a public meeting in July, before final adoption on Sept. 21, 2017.
Increased transparency and accessibility are key City of Gainesville priorities to foster greater public participation in the budget process. Citizens may view and interact with the proposed FY 2018 budget online using the Open Budget platform. Open Budget features both summary and detailed data on city revenues and where those revenues are proposed to be spent.
Currently scheduled meetings regarding the FY18-19 budget are:
- Tuesday, July 11 at 10 a.m.: GRU budget discussion in the City Hall Auditorium
- Thursday, July 13 at 10 a.m.: GRU budget discussion in the City Hall Auditorium
- Tuesday, July 18 at 1:30 p.m.: General Government budget discussion in the City Hall Auditorium
- TRIM (truth in millage) notices are mailed to property owners, notifying them of the millage rate for the following fiscal year.
- Two public hearings are held about the budget document for the following fiscal year. It is then finalized and adopted.
• October 1
- The new fiscal year begins, implementing the new budget.
The City of Gainesville has received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for its budget documents for more than 25 consecutive years.
Older budget documents may be viewed online.